The onset of COVID-19 has had an unprecedented effect on the need for cleaning and disinfecting. To eliminate the pathogens that spread the virus, it has become imperative that pathogens are eradicated on surfaces where they are likely to linger.
Deep cleaning and sanitizing of surfaces are now essential for all types of environments, and especially in areas where people congregate. These include domestic, educational, industrial, and areas where people gather socially.
Classical cleaning methods with disinfectant and towels have proven to not be as effective in removing dirt, germs, and impurities from most surfaces. This is because these methods cannot reach into all the nooks and crannies, and often cleaners miss certain spots where germs lurk.
One of the most effective methods for disinfecting any area, whether it is a small apartment or a big public building, is with a fogging machine.
What Is A Fogging Machine?
Used to generate fog or smoke in a dense vapor, fogging machines are devices that have long been used in many industries. In agriculture, they are used for stock and plant spraying. They are also used for public health to disinfect against viruses and for pest control, especially in hospitals and public buildings.
Depending on the type of chemicals to be used to create the fog, there are thermal and cold fogging machines available.
Fogging Application Methods
There are three types of fogger application methods. These include dry, wet, or electrostatic fog. The main difference in these methods is the droplet size and a good quality fogger should allow for the regulation of spray volume and droplet size. These should range between 5 and 50 microns.
Wet fogging uses larger droplets of about 20 to 30 microns and is ideal for the application of disinfectants, mould control, and targeting areas requiring insecticide. The fog disperses large droplets that coat all surfaces with the wet solution.
Dry fogging uses smaller droplets of about 10 to 15 microns. These are usually achieved by using thermal foggers and are ideal for dispersing their small particles over a larger area. There is a downside to using dry fogging methods because the area needs to be fogged twice to ensure the same coverage as with a wet fogger. This is because the fine particles are easily dispersed by airflow or wind.
Electrostatic fogging sprays an electrostatic mist by using a specialized solution. The liquid within the electrostatic system is charged as it passes through the sprayer nozzle. These particles are positively charged, and they not only coat the surface they are sprayed on but also cling and wrap around them. These fogging systems are more expensive.
The best fogger to use depends on the application required. Weather conditions, the location to be sprayed, and what solution is used all dictate which the best fogging method and machine should be.
Consideration needs to be given to the type of furnishings an indoor area has so that the product used is suitable.
APT has been selling fogging machines in the UK for over 3 decades. Their hand-held foggers kill 99.9% of all harmful bacteria and infectious organisms, whether they are airborne or on a surface.
VIROKILL is the recommended product for efficient fumigation with APT fogging machines. Not only does it infiltrate all surfaces, including soft furnishings, but it is also food safe. It can, therefore, be used in industries that process and manufacture foods.
The Versatility Of Using A Fogger
One person with a fogging machine can easily disinfect a large area completely. They are easy to carry, and some of the machines available can spray up to 12 metres away. They are useful in all types of environments, including hospitals because they are one of the most effective methods for killing pathogens and sanitizing.
How A Fogging Machine Works
Foggers have a tank where the liquid antiviral disinfectant concentrate is diluted, according to the type of application required. APT’s VIROKILL contains readily biodegradable materials, and its bactericidal activity conforms with the British and European standards against bacterial and viral organisms, including Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus hirae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Escherichia coli.
Once the machine is filled, it can be used by regulating the pressure for the mist with a valve. The disinfecting chemicals can be dispersed into diverse areas and can disinfect all types of surfaces, whether they are hard or porous.
Areas That Can Be Sanitized
Fogging machines are not only bought by cleaning companies, hospitals, and agriculture. They have now become standard equipment for businesses, medical practices, the food industry, and manufacturing industries.
They are extremely versatile because they can be used in indoor and outdoor applications and on all types of surfaces. However, APT does recommend that before any chemical preparations are used on delicate fabrics, these should first check by doing a small test sample. Directions on the sanitizing liquid should also be followed carefully.
Sanitization can be carried out in offices, classrooms, clinics, boarding, and hotel facilities. Also, at veterinarian practices, and food preparation installations. Farmers also rely on fogging machines for their dairy, pig, poultry and chicken sheds and hatcheries. This helps them curb the chances of any costly outbreaks. Humid areas like greenhouses, plant growing centers, and garden centers also benefit from fogging regularly to prevent the growth of germs and bacteria.
Effective Room Fogging Directions
The first step is to get the fogging machine ready with the correct dilution of the disinfectant. VIROKILL can be used at 2% in the fogger. Even though the disinfectant is safe to use in all applications, the area must be cleared of all human and animal activity.
Proceed as follows:
• Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) must be worn, including eye protection. All clothing must cover the arms and legs, and sturdy shoes that cover the feet completely must be worn. Eye protection, chemical resistant or waterproof gloves, and a good mask or respirator must also be worn.
• All delicate surfaces must be tested to ensure they will not be damaged.
• Cupboards, drawers, and desks must be open to ensure that they are also sanitized within.
• The fogging machine should be plugged into the area closest to the exit door of the room or just outside of it.
• Fogging is started from the back of the room at the top corner of the ceiling and the fogging machine needs to be adjusted to ensure not too much liquid is dispersed.
• As the person works backward toward the entrance, it must be ensured that a fine mist covers all surfaces. These include ceilings, walls, furniture, and floors.
• As soon as the room is finished, the machine must be unplugged and the door closed.
• The drying time of the disinfectant depends on the products and the droplet size, but the room should only be used again after the disinfectant has self-dried.
Deciding On A Commercial Fogging Machine From A Reputable UK Supplier
Commercial fogging machines are by far the best method to use when sanitizing indoor and outdoor surfaces. Buying a commercial fogger from a reputable UK supplier allows for faster disinfection without any major disruptions to the organisation or business.
With fogging sanitization, after the application, the micro-droplets reach all nooks and crannies as they slowly float in the air. This is something that cannot be achieved when cleaning is done traditionally. Besides their use for virus elimination, fogging machines are also used in pest control.
APT handheld fogging machine models, when used with their recommended disinfectant will:
• Destroy 99.9 % of airborne bacteria and infectious organisms
• Have a vast range of products suitable to all applications
• Offer quick and efficient results
• Are portable, offer complete control, and are easy to use
Best Fumigation Product For Use With Fogging Machine
VIROKILL is recommended for use in fumigations with all APT fogging machines. The anti-viral disinfectant has many advantages:
• Only mildly alkaline, it is much safer to use than other harsh biocides
• It conforms to BS EN1276 and BS EN 14476
• It has a broad spectrum of activity that kills gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria
• Safer and easier to use because it is food safe, low odour, and free-rinsing
• Does not react to hard water and is biodegradable
• Highly concentrated and professional-grade cleaner and disinfectant
• Available in sizes that are suitable for private and heavy-duty commercial use and Ready to use (RTU) and super concentrated.
With six excellent models of fogging machines suitable for all applications, APT has been supplying the UK market for over 30 years now. Until recently, most people who bought foggers were in industries where fumigations are a constant necessity. Now, these machines are obligatory for almost every home, Airbnb owner, small business owner, medical professional, and educational facility.
Viral control is something that will be necessary for years to come. Investing in a fogging machine from a reputable UK supplier will be the best way for businesses to guarantee they move into a period of recovery without any unnecessary disruptions.